Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Grace Words

At this moment, I do not like my mirror. If it were a person, I would say it is rude and unkind. Looking into it makes me insecure. Not wanting others to see me, I say "Where is my make-up"?!

Does this sound familiar to you? We chuckle at the thought of it, but there really are those times when we avoid the mirror or in my case apply the make-up. That mirror is saying something to me that I clearly do not want to hear.

Can  you remember going into a fun house at the carnival or amusement park ? They always had a funny curved mirror that made you tall or short in an exaggerated way. Not a true reflection of the persons looking into it. Laughing at it we did not become insecure at the warped image of ourselves because we knew it was a lie.

Often without even realizing it, we turn people into mirrors. How quickly we are encouraged or delighted by an edifying word about ourselves. We feel accepted in that moment.
On the other hand, we may easily become insecure or hurt by the smallest comment that seemed critical or condemning. Those words are taken as a reflection of ourselves.

Circumstances can speak very loudly to us as well. Have you ever felt that way? For example-You may have worked hard on some project, only to watch it fall apart because of a mistake made. The situation is screaming at you- Stupid!  Idiot! 
I will not list all the possible labels you just slapped allover yourself. Perhaps the circumstance is not from anything you did or forgot to do or didn't do right; life just happens. 
Still, it reflects back to us, "failure!" "loser!"

So many things speak at us. Like hawkers selling their wares  thrusting things at you to buy.  Will you own these labels? Will you buy them?
  
Amid all the tumult there is one still small voice. The only voice that matters; the voice of our God. What does the Word of God say about me?


Prov.23:23 "Buy the truth and do not sell it--wisdom, instruction and insight as well." NIV

Because of Jesus Christ we have the perfect mirror.The Word of God will always speak to us."We are beloved of God." "We are precious." His Word may convict but it will not condemn. We need to let the mirror of the Word of God speak to us always in every moment. When we rest secure in who we are in Him and how He sees us, even real failure will not have victory  over us. 

Receiving  mercy and grace is part of the  inheritance He has bought for us with His own blood. This inheritance is designed to increase. 
When you and I receive grace words in our hearts and minds through the promises of God, it goes deep. His grace adds to the foundation and fabric of my life.  When grace words are received they are also exchanged in conversations with others being multiplied each time.

Jhn 1:16 "For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace." dbt

   Heb 10:23  "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope      we  profess, for he who promised is faithful." NIV

Grace words came and spoke to me
Living promises
That set me free!
Giving Life where death had reigned
grace poured out
In Jesus name!


NIV- New International version
DBT- Darby Bible Translation


No comments:

Post a Comment